Our teachers are part of a creative, entrepreneurial team of non-traditional educators—we think of our teachers as learning engineers. Our students earn much of their course credit online in learning labs. Teachers need to know what our students need; be sure they have the right set of lessons, courses and supports to meet them where they are and help them progress; help them stay on track and motivated; design and lead classes, group projects and other active learning experiences; and provide interventions.
Salary ranges are set forth below. In addition to base salary, all staff participates in health benefit programs and retirement plans, as well as a merit-based bonus program. Teachers work year-round, 8:15am - 5:15pm, on a quarterly calendar that provides for more than six weeks paid vacation.
All teachers must pass a NY state background check. All staff wear a school uniform or professional dress.
Starting salary range $40,000 to $47,000, depending on skills and experience.
- Work in a learning lab, ensuring that students engage with online instruction
- Ensure that each student is programmed for an appropriate individualized course of study that meets his needs
- Develop and lead small group classes
- Cooperate with SPED teacher(s) to provide appropriate services to students with special needs
- Develop and implement systems and processes for monitoring student progress
- Continuously evaluate the blended learning model, curricula and tools and drive continuous improvement
- Assess student learning daily and provide reports to Preceptors and others regarding student successes and challenges
- Provide regular progress reports to students and families
- Work with Preceptors to develop and maintain students’ academic and character goals
- Train, mentor, support and provide critical feedback to Preceptors with respect to supporting learning
- Integrate character education and school values into every aspect of instruction
- Contribute to the professional community and embody school culture
- At least one year of successful teaching experience
- Understanding of the Common Core and other relevant learning standards
- Demonstrated success raising achievement of urban students
- Systems thinker with strong data and analytical skills, including presenting data in clear, user-friendly formats
- Demonstrated experience integrating digital resources into teaching and learning
- Ability to form strong relationships with students
- Creative, flexible self-starter who is comfortable in a demanding, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Collaborative working style; able to work as part of a tight-knit team
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with experience in presentations, process facilitation, problem solving and relationship building
- Certification in appropriate field(s)
- Ambition to go above and beyond the requirements of the job to innovate in education and advance as an educator and a leader